Note to Self no. 3: Love + Marriage / Joshua Tree
Will you take part in
My life, my love
That is my dream
A year ago Sam and I tied the knot and since that magical day in Joshua Tree, we've been going non-stop: living as fast as possible almost like we are trying to make up for the time we were not together. I'm not one to gush but Sam is the perfect partner to my euphoric energy. I can't help but dive into adventure with this man. So the idea of sharing the photos from the wedding has been on my mind for the last year but my priority has been living in the moment with him. Now, more than ever, do I feel the urge to celebrate and share love. It's a tiny victory I'd like to put out to world that lately seems so unfamiliar.
I treasure these images shot by super talented photographer (and friend), Melissa Ryan. She, as well as the entire group of friends and family that came together to celebrate our love, made it one of the best weekends Sam and I have ever had. Each moment carried so much in it: the food was delicious but also sparked an amazing dinner while the music brought jams sessions from family members and the Chicken dance, a Pennsylvania must. The laughs we had will most certainly be held tight to our hearts for the rest of our lives. It's impossible to describe everything in this blog post but hopefully you can see from these photos and video the love that was shared.
In honor of our experience, I wanted to share a love list of items we enjoyed, as well as all the beautiful people who helped created this colorful wedding weekend in Joshua Tree. Thank you to each one of you and for those who have supported us along the way.
- Dip Dying my BHLD wedding dress hot pink with amazing artist KC Cooper Sears
- Working with Boo Simms from Wylie West Creative on the design of the wedding. Bright, bold and quirky just like us, Boo created the perfect vibe for our event.
- Seeing Kate Richards from Farm and Foundry make the most INCREDIBLE flower arrangements for the day. My heart exploded when she surprised us with cactus filled bouquets, homage to my roots in Tucson Arizona. Bear Down!
- Renting the Rockhouse airbnb for the weekend so our wedding party and us could spend as much time as possible together. I highly recommend doing this where ever you are doing your wedding. It makes for some amazing memories. Also, the Rockhouse owners were the sweetest and went out of their way to make sure our weekend was the top of the charts.
- Catering: Merilee from Mojave Merilee made the most incredible food and managed to provide vegan options as well. Missing that salad dressing Merilee!
- The wedding video created by our dearest friend, Jeff Powers. I've never laughed and cried so hard. I tend to watch it at least once a week in secret. Is that weird? But seriously, see it for yourself. Jeff captured so many stellar moments. Thank you Jeff!
- The music: Sam and I didn't come prepared for the music so we made our playlist that day. Borrowing pretty heavily from our good friend Willy Robert's spotify. Matteson Perry jumped in to help play MC and keep us from an awkward silence at the wedding. Thank goodness for good friends.
- Speaking of songs...here is what we walked down the aisle to, walked away as Mr. & Mrs. B together and first dance: Harvest Moon by Poolside, Magic Dance by David Bowie and Life is But A Dream by The Harptones.
- Sound bath at the Integratron with the wedding party. Let's just say we traveled to another universe.
- Seeing our moms and dads having time to relax and have fun.
- Having our best friends marry us.
- Wearing pink hair, pink dress and pink cowboy boots to match. Oh, and see Mr. B in his pink bowtie + Ron Swanson socks.
- Landing on Huffington Post's most hilarious wedding blunders. (Hey, it was funny!)
- Listening and seeing my nephews play guitar for an impromptu jam session. Heart melted.
- Doing the chicken dance for all those that couldn't make it from PA.
- My dad and I spying on the crowd from inside the Rockhouse minutes before heading out to become Mrs. B. :)
- Boo and I have a quick swig of whiskey before I walked out.
- The drinks. Juice Served Here and Lemonade provided the best juice for mixers we could ask for.
- Playing with smoke bombs of all different colors for our wedding party photos. It was magical! Thank you Joel Fox for inspiring this idea. (King of Wizards!)
- Ordering pizzas that were so big that they might have been bigger than the Super Moon. Seriously.
- Having 2 wedding crashers. Sadly, not Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson but the confused couple didn't realize they were at the wrong wedding until AFTER the ceremony started. Thankfully they stayed until the end so it wasn't awkward for all of us. :|
- Having a margarita with my mom before the event. Love her.
- Celebrating with our fur kids. Having both Buju and Willie Nelson in attendance at the wedding has to be the BEST gift ever.
- Every moment during that weekend. I can't say it enough but super thankful for our family and friends.