Before my afternoon at Guisados in Echo Park, I traveled to Highland Park to hit up Donut Friend on York Ave. After seeing all the doughnut hype coming through on my instagram feed, I had to set out on a quest that would be worthy of Homer Simpson. Scouting out doughnut shops around town, I remembered seeing ICANALWAYSEAT instagram photo of Donut Friend which was close enough to home, meaning I could cruise the electric car to BOTH spots even though they were miles away from each other. A girl has to think about battery life when it comes to her car. As I made my way to Donut Friend, I could smell the sweet goodness from my parking spot. All I had to do was follow my nose and voila, I found my way to the Willy Wonka-esque doughnut shop. Just like Wonka, Donut Friend believes in creativity when it comes to their baking. They welcome an open mind and encourage you to play with candy toppings, syrups, fruit fillings, sugar and spices . Basically giving you carte blanche to create your own masterpiece—a chance to make your doughnut dreams come true. For me that dream consists of anything spicy so naturally I was attracted to the Dee Snider, a doughnut filled with peanut butter, strawberry jam and Sriracha drizzled on top. It makes you want to sing sugar and spice and everything nice while doing a dance. Now that I had manifested my doughnut dream, I had to think about what Sam would want? Didn't take me long to figure it out as the Bacon 182 was right in front of my face. This bad boy is covered in maple syrup AND bacon. A win-win situation all the way. So in my mind, why stop at 2 doughnuts? I should just go for double, right? Well, I added to my mix a traditional glazed donut (because how can you deny your first doughnut love) and Walnut Voodoo. My mission to doughnut land was complete and a success. I got mad props at home, got to see Willie Nelson do a doughnut dance and indulge my doughnut dreams. The verdict was Donut Friend is a must stop spot for anyone with a sweet tooth.
- Check out the menu here.
- Hours and location: Monday CLOSED. Tues-Thurs and Sun: 8am-9pm. Fri and Sat: 8am - Midnight. 5107 York Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90042 (213) 995-6191
- Feeling creative? You can create your own. Mix it up and pair it up with fillings and toppings like jam, bacon and cream cheese.
- Team Yacht are big fans—so much that they put them on their 5 Every Day app.
- These donuts help you make friends.
- If you order a dozen you get a box of donut holes (plus dipping sauce) for FREE. Now that's a good deal and will help you make friends.
- Follow Donut Friend on instagram / facebook / twitter / website